Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Now I know it's only Wednesday. . .

Rainy and cold here. I have just realized that I have only two weeks to get Megan's pink fairy costume finished for Halloween.
Here's my trusty crock pot dinner. Try it--I guarantee it will taste great.

HAM & BEANS

2 or 3 ham hocks (If you don't know where to find them, look in the meat dept next to the ham. They look like the shriveled up ends of a hunk of ham.)
1 large or 2 small onions, chopped
3 or 4 carrotts, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
3 or 4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 14-oz can chicken broth
1 tablespoon summer savory (found in the spice department)
1 teaspoon tarragon
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup beans--white northern or pinto; I use half and half
2 bay leaves

Rinse beans of grit etc. and put the whole lot into a crock pot. Cover with enough water to cover completely. Cook on low for about 8 hours or overnight. Remove the ham bones (most of the meat will have fallen off by now) and pick out any remaining bones & fat from the pot. If you have cooked it overnight, put it in the fridge until you get home from work & then just warm it up. Serve over rice or make a nice batch of cornbread or biscuits.

Trust me--this tastes delicious, and my kids will eat it!

No comments: